Thursday, December 20, 2012

3 year well baby visit

Van’s 3 year well baby visit was today.
Height: 40 inches, 95th percentile
Weight: 40 lbs, 98th, percentile
BP: 80/60

The doctor said he was closer to a 4 or 4 and 1/2 year old in size.

Other notable quotes from the doctor’s office:

Nurse (to me): “Do you have any questions for the doctor?”
Van: “I have a question!”
Nurse: “You have a question for the doctor? What is it?”
Van (standing on the examining table): “Well there’s a seal picture (pointing at a picture of a seal on the wall).. and those lights are on (pointing at the ceiling)… with no batteries.. houses, you know, houses don’t run on batteries. Like our house doesn’t run on batteries.”
Nurse: (laughs) “That is right, houses don’t run on batteries.”

***

Doctor: “How old are you Van?”
Van: “Good”

***

Van is sitting on the table
Doctor: “I need to listen to your heart”
Van immediately pulled up his shirt, I was so proud that he knew where his heart was then he said, “I have a heart, it’s in here! (pointing at his belly button)”
***

Doctor (turning Van’s hands over in his and feeling each finger): “What big hand you have, what are you going to do with these hands?”
Van: “No, no, no, these are fingers”
Doctor: “Yes, that is true, can you show me your thumb?”
Van opens his mouth and shows him his tongue.

***
Doctor: “Van are you good at jumping?”
Van: “Yeah!”
Doctor: “Ok show me how you can jump.”
Van: “I can jump over this” (jumping over his dumptruck). “I can jump high.”
Doctor: “Can you jump in one place?”
Van: “Yeah.” (Van jumps in place several times) “I can jump really high.”

***

Van: “Hey who broke that?” Van points to a missing ceiling tile.
Me: “I don’t know babe, look at the pipes up there”
Van: “Hey, maybe we could swing on them!” Looks at me intently to see if the answer is yes.

***

Van: scoots his little chair a few inches closer to me “I want to sit next to you mommy”

***

The doctor brought up nutrition quite a few times and I wondered if I didn’t answer the survey questions correctly about how many servings of fruits, vegetables, grains and protein he eats. I do think he eats healthy but it’s hard for me to come up with those numbers on the spot. Especially since I don't exactly know what he eats at daycare. I may have underestimated fruits because we do eat a lot of those. So the doctors asks me about nutrition and I say we’re lucky because he’s a good eater.
I say, “we’re lucky because he likes a lot of healthy food, like green beans and pineapple and oatmeal.”
Van: “I like chicken nuggets!”
Me: “Right, well he likes chicken nuggets too…”
Doctor directs me to a healthy food website.

***

Doctor: “Well he looks great, he looks really healthy. And there’s no scale for energy, but he’s a 10. He really keeps you busy huh?”

Yes. Yes he does. J

No comments:

Post a Comment