Saturday, March 15, 2014

A morning with Van

We've only been awake for 2 hours and already I have to start writing things down.
Here are some excerpts from today.


Van had come into our bed around 5. When he wakes up he rolls over to me and says,

Van: "Mom, Walrus ends in S, right?"
Me: "yes!"

***

Then I tell Van to go get dressed so we can make breakfast.
Van comes back wearing PJ pants and one of those sun shirts you wear for swimming.

Van: "It looks like I'm going swimming but I'm not. This shirt has Optimus Prime on it."

***

Van then wants me to wear a swim shirt on too. Since I was planning to go to CrossFit later I decide to put a sports bra on and I tell Van it's a swim shirt.

Van: "Is that just a swimsuit for your breasts?"

***

So it turns out there is 2 feet of fresh snow on the ground. So no going to CrossFit or anywhere else for a while. We go to play in the toy bedroom.

Me: "Hey who got chalk all over the window seat?"
But the phone rings before he can answer.
Then when I'm off the phone.
Van: "See mom, it's just my brain, it's always telling me to do bad things."
Me: "Your brain is always telling you to do bad things?"
Van: "Yeah. Like if you bring home some chocolate and then my brain tells me to eat the chocolate, and then I eat the chocolate."

He says the last part as if he really wanted to not eat the chocolate, but it was inevitable, as his brain had told him to do so.
I tell him about willpower, which I define as the ability to not do things, even though your brain is telling you to do them. We'll see if that catches on.

No comments:

Post a Comment